Mr. Ottaway has tried more than 75 cases to verdict in Oklahoma. In addition, he has tried cases in Texas, Arkansas, Idaho, Colorado, New York, California, and several other states.
Mr. Ottaway has been named one of Oklahoma’s SuperLawyers and one of the state’s “Top 10 Attorneys” by Oklahoma Magazine. He is considered one of Oklahoma’s preeminent attorneys, according to his peers and Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Ottaway concentrates his practice in civil litigation involving products liability, professional and general negligence, insurance related issues including extra contractual liability and business disputes.
- University of Oklahoma (B.A. 1971, with honors) Member Phi Eta Sigma and Phi Beta Kappa
- University of Oklahoma (J.D. 1974)
- Hastings Law School – Trial Advocacy Program (1975)
Licensed and admitted to practice in all Oklahoma state and federal courts, all Texas state courts, the Supreme Court of the Chickasaw Nation, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, the Supreme Court of the Cherokee Nation and the United States Supreme Court.
- Senior Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America (2017-Present)
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers (2006-Present)
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers (1998)
- Advocate, American Board of Trial Advocates (1985, 1989-present National Director,
- 1991-1993 Chairman Tort Reform Committee, 1991 President Oklahoma Chapter)
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers (2007-Present)
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America (2009-Present)
- Member, Oklahoma Judicial Nominating Commission (2009-2015); Chair 2014
- International Association of Defense Counsel (1989-Present)
- Recipient of National Masters in Trial Award (American Board of Trial Advocates) (1999)
- Faculty of International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy, Boulder, Colorado (1997)
- Faculty of American Bar Association TIPS Trial Academy (2003-2009; Director 2010)
- International, Federal, American, Oklahoma, Oklahoma County, Cherokee Nation, and Chickasaw Nation Bar Associations
- American Bar Association Sub-Committee on Manufacturers and Products Liability and Sub-Committee on Medical Devices (1984-85 Co-Chairman)
- Oklahoma Association of Defense Counsel
- American Inns of Court, William J. Holloway Jr. (Master Emeritus)
- American Association for Justice
Areas of Practice
- Medical Liability and Health Care Law
- Insurance Law
- Product Liability
- Personal Injury and Wrongful Death
- Professional Negligence
- Trucking and Car Accidents
- Commercial Litigation
- Employment Law